We’re in Colorado for the summer, and every time I get my bike up over the crest of a hill, I definitely start to feel like I’m king (or queen, rather) of the mountain.
But in this particular case, we’re talking specifically about the King of the Mountains award for the Tour de France. Generally, King of the Mountains is award to the best climber in a race. In the Tour, at the top of each significant climb, points are awarded to the riders who are first over the top, and the King designation goes to the most points at the end of the race.
King of the Mountains Jerseys
The distinctive polka dot jersey is worn by the leader in the mountains competition of the Tour de France. While they’ve had the honor around since 1933, the jersey first showed up in 1975. (I wonder what that conversation was like? Polka dots aren’t exactly a typical sports pattern!) Since 2010, it’s also worn by the leader in the Vuelta.
- Twin Six King of the Mountains Short Sleeve Cycling Jersey – At Performance Bike, Also at Amazon
- SprintDesign Polka Dot Award Jersey
- Andyshi Spot Tour De France Men’s Short Sleeve Cycling Jersey
Dotted Socks and Caps
Small and less obtrusive options include socks and caps. Lots of socks and caps. Two of the options below are official Tour gear, complete with logo. The others just make good use of the polka dots. One of the caps is part of the line Twin 6 came out with this year, so some of the dots are black.
- Twin Six King of the Mountains Socks – At Performance Bike
- Socks for the Tour De France Various Color (Red dot)
- NLZ KING OF THE MOUNTAINS CYCLING SOCKS – At BikeMania.biz
- Save Our Soles King of the Mountains Socks
- Le Tour de France – Official Tour de France Cap – Adjustable size – Color : Polka Dot
- Twin Six King of the Mountains Cap
Other Ways to Be King
If that isn’t enough dotty fun for you, check out these last few options. We’ve got a tee, water bottle from the Twin 6 and a bike saddle. (The saddle I’ve mentioned before in a post about the Throne seats.)
- king of the mountain Unisex T-Shirt from: RedBubble
- Thrones King of the Alpes Saddle
- Twin Six KOM Water Bottle White/Black
Disclosure of Material Connection: Some of the links in the post above are affiliate links. This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission, probably enough to get a cup of coffee. I generally only recommend products or services on this blog I would wear personally and believe you will find cool as well. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”